So I am still on this meatless and seafood-less kick and I’m loving it! There are some really cool substitutions out there for the meaty texture I sometimes desire. Recently on Instagram, I saw someone make a chicken nugget substitute using oyster mushrooms. The dish looked really good, so in my regular fashion, I went out and bought oyster mushrooms and fried them up like fried chicken. I was delightfully surprised to find oyster mushrooms at my local regular grocery stores, like Safeway and Giant for $3 a carton.
They were pretty good, so my brain started to wonder….what else could I make with these oyster mushrooms?
Since they accepted batter so well, I wondered how a fish batter would take on them. I could not wait to try! Using my favorite fish batter, I made some crispy fish-less fish tacos. Ohhhhh wow!!!! They tasted like my regular catfish tacos. To put them to the test, I had my family taste them. They loved them as well (that’s when you know it’s real because my family does not play about their food honesty).
I decided to cut the stalk portion off the mushroom. Then I wiped them with a damp paper towel.
Next, using my favorite fish fry, I created a wet and a dry batter so I could double dip my mushrooms to ensure the mushrooms would be nice and crispy. The wet batter is simply water and batter. I didn’t use any seasonings because the Louisiana Fish Fry batter is sufficiently seasoned enough already. I immediately fried them in a pot of hot vegetable oil. After 2-3 minutes, they were done and ready to come out! I drained them with by placing them on a paper towel covered plate, and then they were ready to be served.
I paired them with a pineapple salsa (you can use store bought or make your own), and plain Greek yogurt seasoned with chili powder and cumin. I added some shredded cabbage on top for crunch. Oh yeah, I used a flour tortilla, but using a corn tortilla works perfectly fine as well!
I think you’ll enjoy these! Please leave me a comment to let me know if you plan to try it!
- 1 3.5 oz container oyster mushrooms
- 1 package Louisiana Seasoned Crispy Fish Fry Seafood Breading Mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 package flour tortillas
- Cut the mushroom stalk from the ear and discard the stalk
- Take a wet paper towel and clean the mushrooms
- Pour 1/4 cup of fish fry into a bowl and stir in 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of water
- In a different bowl, pour in 1/4 cup dry fish fry batter
- Dip the mushrooms in the wet batter and then into the dry batter
- Fry the mushrooms in a deep fryer and pot of hot vegetable oil until mushrooms float (about 2-3 minutes)
- Serve and enjoy