So my oldest and I are sitting in the kitchen today, and she says, “You know what I’ve been craving? Chicken Piccata”! Well, that was the cue I needed. I had no idea what I wanted to prepare for dinner, and it’s been a minute since I have done Chicken Piccata.
No ordinary Chicken Piccata would do, so I added some of our FAVS! Sun dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts were my upgrades to this beautiful dish.
Typically I would pan sear the chicken, but since my daughter offered to help me cook (note this monumental moment people because it is VERY RARE), I decided to make breaded chicken (with her urging of course).
I pounded out my chicken tenderloins, so they would cook up quickly and evenly. I just put them in a ziploc bag, one at a time, and beat them to flatness with the smooth end of my meat tenderizer. I seasoned my Italian bread crumbs with salt, pepper, and onion powder, and dipped my tenderloins in the bread crumbs. I decided not to use an egg wash first, because I really was not feeling it (that’s a good reason, right?) Into my vegetable oiled hot cast-iron skillet they went, until each side was nicely browned and crispy.
While my thin spaghetti was boiling in salted water, I created my creamy,lemony, garlicky piccata sauce with butter, cream, lemon juice, artichokes, sun dried tomatoes, and capers all in my cast-iron skillet. DO NOT wash out the skillet once your chicken tenders are done. We need all that crusty leftover goodness to make our sauce SING!
Add the pasta and chicken back into the sauce, and garnish with some lemon slices and flat leaf parsley. Dinner is done, FABULOUSLY! Get the detailed recipe below. And uhhhh, don’t forget to leave me a comment, ok????
P.S. – Saute yourself some spinach with garlic to serve on the side! Gotta get your greens!
- Kosher Salt
- 1 box Thin Spaghetti
- 8 Chicken Tenderloins
- 1 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs (more if needed)
- 2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
- Vegetable Oil
- 1 Stick Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter
- 1/2 Shallot, Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- 2 Teaspoons Grated Lemon Rind
- 1/4 Cup Sun Dried Tomatoes, Julienne Cut (dry in a package, not in the jar of oil)
- 1 Small Jar Artichoke Hearts, drained of oil
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Capers (drained. Use as many as you like)
- Italian Flat Leaf Parsley (garnish)
- Sliced Lemons (garnish)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add 3/4 box of thin spaghetti noodles and follow directions on box for al dente cooked pasta.
- Pound chicken tenderloins flat and rinse. Do not dry.
- Combine bread crumbs, onion powder, salt and pepper into a shallow dish.
- Dredge both sides of chicken into bread crumb mixture.
- Heat vegetable oil (just enough to cover bottom of skillet) in skillet over medium high heat.
- Fry both sides of chicken tenders in hot oiled skillet until chicken is no longer pink inside, and crust is browned to your liking (some like it extra-dark).
- Remove tenders from skillet and place on paper-towel covered plate to drain excess oil.
- DO NOT RINSE THE SKILLET.
- With heat on high, add butter to the skillet.
- Once butter melts, add garlic, shallots, lemon juice, grated lemon, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, whipping cream.
- Slowly stir in parmesan cheese.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Stir in capers.
- Add pasta and stir until pasta is covered.
- Add breaded chicken.
- Garnish with lemon slices and parsley.